Thursday, May 26, 2011

Not the "Birthday Party Mom"

You know, before we had kids, I used to really love to entertain. I think I still do- I am always stressed but then glad, after the fact, whenever we have friends come over. I was reminded of this recently when old friends came to town and dropped by with their kids for an impromptu pizza night. They didn't mind our mess, the kids played together, and we had a lovely time catching up! But living in a perpetual state of chaos with 5 kids underfoot makes me feel like I'm always behind and disorganized (probably because I AM). I'd love to be a good housekeeper and have it all together, and maybe someday you'll be able to visit me and sit on the couch without having to move a pile of laundry first. But in the meantime, I need a wall hanging that says "God Bless This Mess!" My favorite comment of all time came from a friend who once said, on her way out: "I love this house. People LIVE here!" Indeed, we do.

So, speaking of the kids...I have been wishing lately that I could be that "Birthday Party Mom". You know the one, she plans her kids' parties weeks or months in advance, makes up little goodie bags for all the guests, gets the cake just right, has fun party games planned, etc., and pulls it all off with a smile. Yeah, well- I am NOT her. I have had every intention of letting my kids have "friend" birthday parties, since now they've been invited to so many they know the drill and want to do that, too. But it would appear that I do not have the birthday party gene! I am sad to say that my poor Olivia's birthday came and went 2 months ago, and she is STILL waiting on her party. I finally gave up and offered her a plan B: she could invite her best friend for a girls' afternoon out instead, and I would take them to Build A Bear Workshop and then to a fancy cupcake shop for a treat afterward. I was relieved when she jumped at the chance! So now I just have to plan the day and work it out with the friend's mom, who offered to take my boys in exchange. Thankfully she does not seem to care about celebrating so far PAST her birthday! And at this point Kiera's birthday has now come and gone, too, so I think we'll just make it a double celebration. Thankfully Kiera, being 3, had a much simpler idea of what her birthday should be. All she wanted was presents and cake and lasagna for dinner, bless her heart! She didn't even have any gift suggestions or really care what kind of cake. The "little" birthdays are the best!

I don't know why I worry about it so much. I guess I just want my kids' birthdays to be special for them- I don't care so much about my own birthday, but I do love their birthdays. Each and every one of them is such a treasure, and I love the opportunity to celebrate them! We have our own traditions, though, that hopefully will be the things they remember as adults, not the lack of Chuck E Cheese birthday parties. The birthday kid always gets a candle in his or her breakfast, for example. They can choose whatever they want, which usually ends up being donuts, and then they can open gifts in the morning after breakfast so they have all day to enjoy the birthday loot. Of course they also get to choose their birthday dinner, and sometimes lunch, depending on how the day goes! Sometimes I sneak in the night before and decorate their bed or doorway while they're sleeping...just little things that fit their love language and hopefully make them feel special. And in the end, isn't that really what it's all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment